Sequim Prairie Nights
18 August 2018
Enthusiast, owners and just plain car guys and gals, plan on attending our 2nd annual downtown Sequim car show and shine this August 18, 2018 and experience the Sequim downtown in a whole new manner. Last years event was attended by 176 vehicles and enjoyed by over 4000 visitors. This years event is expected to even better than last.
Yes, the event is called Sequim Prairie Nights and is being held during the day but we hope you will stay and make the night your own experience at one of the local venues. Vehicles from the early days of automotive history to 1978 are welcome to participate in the downtown show and shine event. In addition to show participants, special vehicles of significance will be on display and their owners available for questions and comments such as:
- George McMurray and the "Tri-Mac Speedsters" Bonneville Land Speed Record holding 100cc motorcycle (fresh from another LSR attempt at Bonneville)
- A 1966 Chevrolet Corvette "Tanker" recently featured at the Corvette Legends Invitational, a very "rare" example of mid 60's muscle.
- Locally owned and a fully restored 1917 4-door Touring Model "T" along with historical tools and documentation (Still to be determined based on availability)
- A fully restored 1945 Fire truck from Sequim's bygone days.
- A restored logging truck used on the peninsula in the heyday of peninsula logging.
This annual events proceeds will benefit, local non-profits; primarily the Sequim Museum building fund, Sequim High School Automotive Education and food donations for the local Sequim Food Bank. Additionally it is hoped that participants and attendees alike will find the time to visit the local restaurants and retail outlets during their visit. The Sequim Prairie is a unique eco-climate and enjoys a minimal rain fall when compared to the rest of the Olympic Peninsula. While it may be raining elsewhere, we in Sequim are usually dry.
Periodic drawings will be held throughout the day for unique car and non-car related items. Tickets for items to be drawn on will be available all during the day, with winning ticket numbers provided on a white reader board with the first drawing occurring during the 11 o'clock hour. Winners will need to be present to claim their item. Unclaimed items at the end of the day will be subject to additional drawings until a winner is had.
Again, a special item of local Sequim significance and car culture related, is the second side of the last years "GULL" gas station sign, that once graced the Gull Gas Station, previously located in the town center now known as "Centennial Square". As of the date of this update it has not been determined if the sign will be raffled or auctioned off, but all proceeds from the sign will benefit the Sequim Museum building fund.
Following the Sequim Prairie Nights Car Show and Shine, participants are invited to attend a local "guided" cruise from downtown Sequim out to the Dungeness Spit via the Bell Hill area where spectacular views of the strait and lighthouse can be had followed by the back roads through the Jamestown area, then out to the Dungeness Spit area for views of the lighthouse, beaches and strait ending back into the center of Sequim. This is approximately a 60 minute cruise. Local residents will be encouraged to cheer you on as you cruz by. By this time Sequim streets should be back to normal and visitors are invited to dine at any one of the local fine restaurants, stay the night in one the several local hotels and or visit the award winning 7 Cedars Golf Course or 7 cedars Casino on your way out of town.
* Registration for this event is encouraged due to limited event parking estimated to be approximately 300 vehicles. Registration available here. Advance registration: $25 and at the show $30. Registered participants will receive a fine quality hat with an embriodered 2018 Sequim Prairie Nights logo on the front, well worth the price of admission.
Participants and attendees are encouraged to bring a non-perishable food item for the local food bank. Food items may be left at the registration area.